Prep Time 5 mins
Cook Time 20 mins
Total Time 25mins
You can get Sardines in Tomato Sauce but for this recipe I decided to make my own tomato sauce to see if I could create a dish where the sardines are palatable. To do so, I used Italian Tomatoes, Tomato Paste, Black Olives, Capers, Dried Garlic and Black Pepper.
Even if I say so myself, and I do, the dish came out tasting pretty damn good. You can think of it in terms of layers of taste. The sardines form the base, followed by the tomato sauce and paste. The sauce is then suffused with the capers and with the black olives.
As with all of my recipes, you can make this to your taste. This means that you can add as much or as little of the black pepper and garlic as you like. I love the taste of pepper and garlic and so I went for it. Last but by no means least, use your bread maker so that you can have the sardines on toast.
- 1 (4 oz / 110 gram) tin of sardines in spring water
- 1 ( 8oz / 200 gram) tin of yummy Italian tomatoes
- 2 sachets ( 3.5 oz / 100 gram) Leggo’s tomato paste
- 1/4 jar ( 3.5 oz / 100 gram) of sliced black olives
- 1/4 jar ( 2 oz / 55 gram) of capers in vinegar
- 1 tsp of lightly dried garlic flakes or to your taste
- 1 tsp of ground black pepper or to your taste
- Tip the sardines into a bowl and use a fork to mash them up.
- Tip the tin of tomatoes into a saucepan and set on low heat.
- Once the tomatoes are simmering add the mashed sardines.
- Simmer for a few minutes and then add in the tomato paste.
- Simmer for up to 2o minutes and then add olives and capers.
- Have a taste and add your preferred amount of garlic and pepper.